Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rules of engagement



This blog was created, as the title says, to enable open (uncensored!) and lively conversations about issues that are close to my heart. There are a few things I believe very strongly: that we are all in the same boat and on the same level as human beings, that we are deeply relational (even the introverts among us!) and that certain types of conversations have a huge potential not only to build and strengthen relationships with others but also to have a transforming influence on our own thinking and perspective. From past experience I have also learned that language his a highly ambivalent thing. It's so easy to form impressions and label people according to what we thought we heard and read, and completely misunderstand both the meaning and the emotion behind these words. I want to encourage everyone commenting on this blog to be civil, to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (ask first before going on a wild strawman attack!), and also to try your best to be open minded and willing to learn rather than just defending a personal view. I will try to do the same and when one of us fails, it's never too early or too late to say sorry!

1 comment:

  1. i'm always civil, you jerk!

    seriously though, i agree with your intentions.

    ReplyDelete