Friday, April 10, 2009

Claims and reality



"Internetmonk" Michael Spencer's repost of an article from 2004 tackled a subject we don't often talk about in our Christian circles, at least not very openly or honestly. The title is: "When I Am Weak: Why we must embrace our brokenness and never be good Christians".

The question arises: how truly changed are our lives now that we belong to Christ?

Here's a short quote:

"Why are we, after all that confident talk of “new life,” “new creation,” “the power of God,” “healing,” “wisdom,” “miracles,” “the power of prayer,” …why are we so weak? Why do so many “good Christian people,” turn out to be just like everyone else? Divorced. Depressed. Broken. Messed up. Full of pain and secrets. Addicted, needy and phony. I thought we were different."

Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Is Paul making bolder claims than what can be fully backed up by our actual lives? Try and complete this sentence - from your experience, not theoretically or from Scripture (looking at things as they should be rather than as they are) - "What has truly changed in my life because of Christ is . . . "

I'll close with another quote from Michael's post:

"Those of you who want to draw big, dark lines between my humanity and my sin, go right ahead, but I’m not joining you. It’s all ME. And I need Jesus so much to love me like I really am: brokenness, memories, wounds, sins, addictions, lies, death, fear….all of it. Take all it, Lord Jesus. If I don’t present this broken, messed up person to Jesus, my faith is dishonest, and my understanding of it will become a way of continuing the ruse and pretense of being “good.”
blog comments powered by Disqus