Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In need of prayer



"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should." (Colossians 4:2-4)

There are two individuals who usually receive a lot of attention around Easter Time because of their role in the events surrounding Jesus' arrest, trial and execution. Those two men are Peter and Judas. Denial and betrayal are shocking reminders of what we are all capable of, in spite of having been with Jesus and in spite of all our good intentions.

What does not receive nearly as much attention is a different kind of failure mentioned regarding all of the disciples in the garden of Gethsemane: "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour? .... Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation!" (Matthew 26:40-41)

Our lack of prayer not only reveals that fatigue quite often keeps us from seeking God and from fighting the invisible battles endangering our souls but also the corresponding lack of understanding how dependent we truly are in every circumstance on God's help and His wisdom and power.

If even a seasoned preacher and evangelist like the apostle Paul felt the need to ask for prayer support from the believers both in regards to opportunities and also the communication of the Gospel, we today certainly need to rediscover that same basic need as well.

And so, quite selfishly, I do covet your prayers for me and those attending our Good Friday and Easter Services this weekend. Pray that God will open doors and that I'll be able to proclaim the good news clearly!
blog comments powered by Disqus