This presentation from Brian McLaren is well worth watching. It illustrates the gap between the focus of so many churches today and the kingdom message of Jesus aimed at a transformation of our society rather than a few individuals being whisked away from the evils of this world.
My only concern is that with this urgently needed rethinking of our faith the dimension of the connection of the "way of Jesus" and message of the kingdom of God with the King himself could get easily lost. I'm not saying that McLaren is advocating that in any way but I sometimes get the impression that at least some who are gung ho about Christian activism could pursue those same values and goals without ever having to address the vertical dimension of our relationship with God at all. I don't see how personal transformation, discipleship and radical rethinking could be possible without a willful and joyful surrendering to the Lordship of Christ Himself and the continuing dependence on His help and power.
