Thursday, January 15, 2009

Beware of the "stranger"!



I found this clip at Chad Holtz's blog today and had very mixed feelings about it at first. I don't want to start a discussion about the sense or nonsense of a free hugs campaign but what I would like to explore is the carefully guarded part of me that says: "I wouldn't just hug any stranger with a big sign either!" At the same time, I can't deny that I also feel quite strongly that an essential element of the Gospel is captured here as well: give away love without an agenda!

Isn't it interesting that Jesus referred to the stranger consistently as our neighbor and the only time where the stranger appears besides John 10:5 (where the context is leadership and not relationship in general) is in Matthew 25 and here it is Jesus himself who comes to us in disguise?

I don't know about you but that powerful statement "I was a stranger and you invited me in!" (V.35) makes me wonder whether my fears and my caution are nothing but hindrances to truly see and treat those I don't know (yet) as neighbors and friends.

blog comments powered by Disqus