Some of you may be aware of the Big Tent Christianity event in Raleigh, NC in September. I have heard different reactions to the invitation that Philip Clayton extended to 2 representatives of the extreme left and extreme right within American Christianity, John Shelby Spong (a retired bishop in the Episcopal Church) and Pat Robertson , a Southern Baptist with distinct charismatic leanings and host of the 700 Club. Some think it was never meant seriously in the first place and is just a gimmick to gain attention and market the conference. Others maintain that this captures the true essence and reasoning behind the event and is therefore legitimate and necessary.
I have to admit that my first reaction to this was thinking: "What's the point? We all know there's no way that one or both will show up! Both probably don't even consider the other to be a true Christian."
And what about all those who'd be hard pressed to see much authentic Christianity in either of these two men's positions? Is Clayton right that a refusal from those two to acknowledge and embrace each other essentially makes the term "Christian" meaningless? Would a public "hug" (figuratively speaking) between those two change anything in the dynamics between liberals and conservatives, and the myriad of shades in between?
I'm not really sure. If it was heartfelt, I'd agree that it would be an amazing gesture with deep symbolism and potentially an important catalyst towards a new ecumenical conversation and movement. But the cynic and realist in me just can't see it happening. And maybe that's the actual problem. Not the huge distance between the two but my cynicism and unbelief. If someone asked me whether I believed God's Spirit can move mountains, I'd say "Of course, and a lot more than that!" But in reality I don't believe that the Spirit can move THIS mountain if my cynicism is based on what I believe to be real and possible.
Sure, the term "Christianity" in its reference to Christ will always remain meaningful independent of what people think and do, Spong and Robertson included. That is not Clayton's point however. The question is: can the term still have any significance and impact in the public eye when we all just hold on to our individual versions of what a Christian is or isn't. What we truly need desperately (at the very minimum!) is an acknowledgement of our differences but also of the fact that Jesus Christ is vital to the way we understand God, ourselves, humanity and the way we want to live our lives.
Even if none of those two show up, each one of us who identifies herself or himself as followers of Jesus will have to think about how they would and will answer the call to accept others who do not think exactly alike but still love Christ.
