Sunday, February 22, 2009

And the Oscar for best church performance goes to ...



As the Academy Awards are quickly approaching, here are a few thoughts about people being recognized in the church. Obviously nobody in the context of the kingdom of God is asked to "perform" or to act a part. But what about the question of gratitude and the need to recognize and affirm people who are serving the Lord?

It has always bugged me when some people out of piousness (and a strange understanding of "humility" I guess) refused to be thanked and recognized because they actually believed that this would cause them to lose their reward in heaven.

On the other hand, I'm having a tough time every time October comes around - "pastors' appreciation month" - when I'm once again being thanked and praised publicly, and sheepishly walk home with a gift certificate that will easily pay for a very nice steak dinner night with my wife.

It's not so much the aspect of public thanks that I have a problem with but the fact that there's no church cleaner's appreciation month, nor one for the lady who regularly visits shut-ins, nor flowers or a gift for the people who bless us musically or otherwise.

Why single out pastors? We already receive way too much attention as it is. What happened to the priesthood of all believers?

Anyway, I'll stop my rant and let you weigh in. Should there be public recognition at all in the church? And if so, who should receive it and in what manner?
blog comments powered by Disqus