Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My island hideaway



"God's my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck."

Psalm 32:7 (THE MESSAGE)

Ever since my first visit to Hawaii in 2001, I've often been daydreaming about going back there. There's just nothing quite like a tropical island with lush vegetation, endless beaches, the chance to snorkel and swim with the most colorful fish, or to stand right beneath a small waterfall and have the most refreshing shower ever.

Did I wet your appetite just a little?

I like Peterson's rendering of "hiding place" in this island metaphor. Too often I think of God as someone who's very task oriented and I start thinking in terms of measuring up rather than realizing that He's my very source of strength, the One who wants to refresh and protect and give new energy. That "island hideaway" is never out of reach and yet I "travel" there so seldom!

May we all be refreshed and renewed today as we draw close to our Maker, Confidante and Friend!


blog comments powered by Disqus