Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jim & Casper go to church



I'm currently reading "Jim & Casper go to church" - the story of an unlikely friendship between a Christian believer and an atheist who agrees to visit a wide variety of churches from different denominations both big and small together with him. Their experiences and conversations along the way are quite eye-opening. Most of the time we are only seeing our churches from an insider's perspective and we have really no clue how the very people we want to reach feel about our worship, our messages, and the way they are greeted (or not!) at the door.

I'll post some specific observations which may be helpful for all of us to hear, once I'm finished with the book.

In the meantime, try to answer a couple provocative questions: does it really matter what the unchurched think and feel when they enter our churches? Isn't the Gospel always "foolishness" to those who don't have the Holy Spirit? To what degree should we or should we not adapt to the culture surrounding us in order to communicate the Christian message more effectively?
blog comments powered by Disqus